Hi there! It occurred to me that so many brides are currently planning their engagement sessions and I’m getting so many questions about what to expect or where to take them. So, I just want to share some of my best tips for choosing where to take your engagement photos. And make sure you read to the end to find a special offer just for my readers!
I so love engagement sessions. It’s like the portrait portion of the wedding day, but no schedule, no rushing, no stress. I just love them! And so do my brides and grooms! I’m not kidding. Even those grooms who are so not into the photography stuff…the ones who could kinda care less and don’t really want to be there…yeah, you know who you are! I’ve had a few of you, and I’ve transformed you into photo session gurus and possibly even fans!
I love engagement sessions because it gives us a chance to get to know each other and it gives me the chance to learn who you are as a couple. We get to goof around, find out what looks most natural and feels most like your love. It also gives you, my beautiful bride and groom, a variety of photos of the two of you that are perhaps in a different season than your wedding, in different attire than your wedding wardrobe, and somewhere with a slightly different style than your wedding venue.
But did you know that engagement sessions give us a chance to actually make memories too? Sure, a lot of people choose to have the photos taken at landmark locations around their town. And sometimes that really means something to them. But most of all it’s just a pretty place. I encourage my brides and grooms to think outside of the box and give me locations that really mean something to them. Somewhere that you’ve made memories before. And somewhere that you’ll actually feel those memories come to life again. So, I’ve put together a list of 7 Remarkable Location Ideas for Your Engagement Session that will help to open your mind up to an engagement session that speaks volumes about your love, your story, your history, and your future.
1. Your Home. It’s where you spend the most time together. It’s where you’ve combined what’s yours and what’s his. How could we find anywhere more YOU than your own home? Think of ways to make this idea your own. Do you cook dinner together? Play card games at night before bed? Are you fixing up a fixer upper together to be your first family home? Do you enjoy coming home on Friday evenings and sharing a bottle of wine and relaxing together? We can create incredible, personal photos out of all of that! Trust me! You’ll be amazed!
2. Family Property. Grandpa’s farm. It’s where you played as a child. Where you pretended to get married under the oak tree when you were ten. Where family reunions were held and you and the cousins created adventure after adventure. And since you couldn’t have the wedding there due to unpaved roads, lack of public restrooms, and the fact that you just know it will rain if you plan an outdoor wedding, then why not have your engagement session there? It will mean the world to you, your family, and even your fiancé because you’re sharing a part of your history with him.
3. Your First Date. The super cute bike shop where you had sandwiches after riding the trails. The coffee shop on the square where you agreed to just meet for coffee because you weren’t sure you wanted to spend an entire evening with this guy. Or your all-time favorite, little family-owned Italian restaurant where he splurged on dinner to impress you, you even ordered dessert to make him feel good, and then you both drank too much wine because you purely lost track of time.
4. School. Did you meet in college? Even in high school? Let’s go there! Not just out front, with the school sign in the background. But in a little nook of the building where you would stand and chat after class. Or in the library where you studied together and learned more about each other than you did about physics. Let’s go there! If that’s where the spark was lit, I promise it will bring back the butterflies and it will show in your photos!
5. Your Favorite Hangout. What? Is it a bar? Fine! Let’s do it! It’s the place that you and your friends meet up every Friday and get the weekend started. It’s where you’ve shared way too many laughs and way too many beers. Doesn’t seem glamorous? Just wait and see! You have to remember that I will see these locations in an entirely new light after hearing why you’ve suggested them. And they will stretch my creativity and always turn out as some of the most beloved images.
6. That Little Spot that you Pass on your Way to His House/Her House/Home. It’s the spot where you come over the hill on your way home after work, just as the sun is setting, and you think every single time…gosh that’s beautiful. It’s the little stretch of shops and restaurants near your neighborhood that make you think…that’s so cute…I’m glad we live here. Little obscure places like this can make some beautiful photos. And it’s even more special that it’s a part of your everyday lives.
7. Super Special Hidden Secret Spots from Your Photographer. Every photographer has them. Little spots that they’ve passed and thought ooh that would be a great place for a photo! I have a list, in my head and on my phone, of perfect little nooks to stick my clients and snap their amazing photos! I’m just waiting for the right couple who I think will fit or who will be open to trying somewhere that isn’t a normal place for photos. So just ask! Ask your photographer if they have any secret places where they’ve been dying to take photos! You’ll be pleased with the creativity and uniqueness of your session and the images that result!
Well, there you have it! All of my secrets to creating engagement sessions that are more personal and more treasured! Find more of the information you need below! Or contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 417-413-4076 to schedule your engagement session…because I’m offering all of my readers the chance to book an engagement session for just $250 ($75 off the normal price) for a collection of beautiful memories celebrating your engagement! !! I’m excited to start hearing your amazing ideas for a unique and personal e-session!